Decontamination: before, during and after

The safety of chlorine dioxide gas is well established, and the process can be minimally disruptive to your business operations if you know what to expect before, during and after treatment. The size of the area to be treated is the biggest factor in determining how long the service will take. Very small areas can be completed in half a day; larger areas can take up to several days. Another factor is how much will need to be sealed in order to ensure the gas doesn’t leak.


Like all disinfectants, chlorine dioxide gas (ClO2) is corrosive because it is an oxidant. However, its oxidation potential is half that of other regularly used disinfectants and is safe to use around highly complicated equipment. Micrologics recommends that ferrous unpainted materials be painted whenever possible, as they can rust when water is applied.


It is not safe for people to be in an area while it’s being treated with chlorine dioxide gas. However, once the gas has been removed, you and your team can safely return to the area. Ideally, we will have access to a single contact person within your organization who can assist with turning on air handling units and other equipment once the gas has been removed.

While decontamination is in process, we recommend that the HVAC system is turned off so that the area being treated is not pressurized. Also, lights should be turned off, as UV light will break down the chlorine dioxide and reduce its effectiveness.


Chlorine dioxide gas breaks down into simple salts and its residues are so minimal that they are often not measurable. For these reasons, the FDA allows this agent to be used to sterilize contact lenses and various foods. Once Micrologics has decontaminated an area or piece of equipment, there is no need for you and your team to do any additional cleaning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *